Welcome to Torah Toy!

At Torah Toy we believe that learning should be fun! Our wide variety of unique teaching ideas and unusual educational toys will encourage children to explore and expand their imagination in a Torah environment.


Sunday, January 6, 2013

Tu B'Shevat Basket


I love Tu B’Shevat! First of all, because it’s the birthday of the trees! We get to learn so much about flowers, trees and fruits… Not to mention all the projects we make and we even get to eat dry fruit! Second of all, it’s my parents’ engagement anniversary. It’s a date that we cannot miss and never forgotten by anyone of my siblings. Not like mine, which I’m still trying to figure out which day of Pesach Chol Hamoed did it occur.  I guess I’ll figure it out some day.


This year, for Tu B’Shevat, we did this adorable basket. It is easy to make and we use materials that we already have stored in the closet. We first talked about the Shivat HaMinim, where they grow and why are they so special. My daughter was excited to hear that these seven special foods are found in Israel. The Shivat HaMinim consist of the following: wheat, barley, grapes, fig, pomegranate, olive and date. We then moved on making the Tu B’Shevat basket.

All you need:

Brown Crayons
2 Paper Plates
Scissors


We first colored two paper plates brown making sure we covered all the surface area. We then cut out the Shivat HaMinim fruit. I helped my daughter with the scissors, showing her how to hold it properly. I turned the plates into a basket, by folding one of the paper plates in half and stapled down the round side. Make sure to leave open the top. I then took the second paper plate and cut the handle out of the ruff surface and stapled it to the top of the basket. We discarded the rest of the paper plate.






We placed all the Shivat HaMinim inside the basket. It looked really cute when we hung it up in the fridge!

All the best,




1 comment:

  1. Im super thrilled to have found your blog! your ideas are very innovative. and being a teacher for 30+ years, its nice to see a fresh take on projects etc. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete